Tuesday, May 12, 2009

This and that

The last couple of weeks have been good to me... first of all we took five days off and headed to Nova Scotia to visit family. There we laughed, talked into the wee hours, played games and just enjoyed each other. We returned home tired but renewed.

I joined a Huna study group last week. The amazing, positive energy in the air was palpable! I got to meet a very cool group of people who want to enrich their lives with positive thinking. I am ever the optimist, and sometimes I am told I am not "realistic" enough. What a blessing to share some space and time with like-minded people.

This past weekend there was a huge family fair/expo here in town. Lots of great companies and service providers were there but there was something missing: natural birth support. I was shocked! I've been taking it easy this year, after moving, but now I'd really like to network with doulas and natural birth enthusiasts here in town and see what can be done. Adding to the "to-do" list.

A bright, beautiful discovery I made at the fair was a local henna artist, Larissa Reinders, owner of Dragonfly Designs. In addition to traditional mehndi, Larissa does beautiful belly designs for expectant mothers, infusing them with love and energy that moms can carry over into their birth and postpartum time. She also facilitates "Mother Blessings", a great alternative to traditional baby showers where the focus is on honouring and encouraging the mother to be in an intimate, loving gathering. You can check out her work here.

This coming weekend I am doing a private birth workshop for my dear friends who are also expecting a little one. I am so excited as this is in preparation for a homebirth, so we can talk about all of the things that are important to this couple, instead of focusing on hospital procedures and protocols. Although we will be talking about what will happen in the event of a transfer, for the most part we can focus on how to keep the energy good and how mom wants to be supported so she can feel safe and secure. They are planning a waterbirth for this first baby, and although there is always some fear of the unknown, I hope I can help them to feel excited more than anything.

The buds have popped on the trees today and the sun is shining, adding to my already high energy level (I slept so well last night!). My biggest goal today is to get my house super clean, it always makes me feel really great. So I am off...wishing you lots of love and light today :)

1 comment:

  1. Larrissa henna-ed me a couple years ago. She's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete